"Clary Sage" or "Clary" is a biennial Mediterranean herb (Salvia sclarea) in the genus Salvia which is a native to Europe and East & Central Asia. It is commercially cultivated to obtain a volatile oil which contains innumerable medicinal properties. The origin of this aromatic plant is not known, but it is believed that it was originated in Hungary. Today, it is extensively cultivated in England, France, and southern Russia.
Since ancient times, clary sage oil has been widely used to treat many health disorders including amenorrhea, asthma, coughing, dysmenorrhea, exhaustion, gas, labor pains, sore throat, and stress. Due to its warm, nutty fragrance, it is mostly used in the perfumery industry.
Since clary sage oil contains antifungal, anti-bacterial, aphrodisiac, antidepressant and anti-epileptic properties, it is quite helpful in treating many physical complexions. This essential oil provides relief to the patients suffering from asthma, throat infection and whooping cough. It works wonderfully when used as a hair conditioner. Application of the clary sage essential oil on scalp provides comfort during depression, migraine, mental tension, etc. It works amazingly when applied to the skin. Clary sage oil also strengthens kidneys and increases mucus secretion in intestines.
Caution: Pregnant women should consult their physician before using clary sage oil. Its aroma may
- Anti Depressant: Clary Sage Oil boosts self esteem, confidence, hope and mental strength and efficiently fights depression. This can be very helpful to drive away depression for those who are suffering from depression due to failure in career or love, insecurity, loneliness, stagnation, someone’s death or any other reason. This also relieves anxiety. Being an anti depressant, it can be systematically administered to patients of acute depression who are undergoing rehabilitation.
- Anti Convulsive: It calms down and reduces convulsions, be it epileptic or be it due to any nervous disorder or otherwise. It brings about peace of mind and acts as a sedative for tense nerves.
- Anti Spasmodic: Clary Sage oil is found to be useful in treatment of spasm and related ailments, such as cramps in muscles and respiratory system, spasmodic cough, stomachache, headaches and spasmodic cholera.
- Anti Bacterial: This oil kills bacteria, checks growth and spread of bacterial infections and also protects against new infections. Studies show that Clary Sage essential oil is particularly beneficial in curing bacterial infections of colon, intestines, urinary tract and the excretory system. It is equally effective in eliminating action of bacteria entering our body through water or food stuffs.
- Anti Septic: Wounds will not get septic neither will they be infected with tetanus germs, if Clary Sage oil is applied on them.
- Aphrodisiac: This is one of the well known properties of Clary Sage oil. It is an aphrodisiac, which means an agent that boosts up libido and sexual desires. It is very effective in treating frigidity, psychological problems resulting in loss of libido or even impotency. This is equally effective in males and females.
- Astringent: If you think that your gums are losing hold on your teeth are sooner or later they will start falling then you must use Clary Sage oil because it has astringent properties. It does not only strengthen your gums, but also strengthens and tones skin, muscles and hair follicles, prevents hair fall and makes you look and feel younger.
- Carminative: Clary Sage oil, owing to its carminative properties, can do to you the same thing what a needle does to a fully blown balloon, that is, it will make the gases pass out, and that too, safely with a downward motion. You might find it funny, but gas can be really fatal sometimes when it pushes upwards and hits the delicate organs inside, so a downward movement is the safest way. This oil also does not let gas form.
- Deodorant: The synthetic deodorants cost heavy on the pockets and the environment and their effects do not last longer too. Moreover, sometimes they produce irritations on skin and allergies. Clary Sage oil can be a far better choice as a deodorant from these points of view. In diluted form, it serves as an efficient deodorant without any side effects. The best part of it? It is herbal.
- Digestive: It promotes digestion and relieves you from indigestion. It boosts up secretion of gastric juices and bile, thereby speeding up digestion.
- Emenagogue: Having troubles with irregular, obstructed and painful menses. You can give a try to Clary Sage oil before you spend a handsome on some Gynecologist. You need not be afraid since it has no adverse side effects. It opens up obstructed menses, makes them regular and eases pain. It also cures dizziness and mental irritations during menses as well as in cases of Post Menopause Syndrome.
- Euphoric: Clary Sage oil can induce a feeling of immense joy, confidence, pleasure and high spirits and fill you with the desire to live your life to the maximum.
- Hypotensive: Hypotensive is the antonym for Hypertensive. Clary Sage oil is very effective in reducing blood pressure by relaxing the veins and arteries and reduces the risk of heart attacks, brain hemorrhage etc.
- Nervine: It is good on nerves. It sedates nervous convulsions and other disorders such as nervousness, vertigo, dingy feeling etc.
- Ocular: Clary Sage oil is a well known medicine for eyes. It makes eyes bright, protects them from infections, age related degenerations such as macular degeneration and clears eyesight when it becomes hazy due to age factor, internal wounds, infections etc. It also delays cataract formation.
- Sedative: Need to calm down? Want to concentrate? Want to relax and have a good sleep? Clary Sage oil can help you with all of these. It reduces inflammations and induces a calming effect.
- Stomachic: Maintains health of stomach and regulates secretions of digestive juices in it and thus prevents stomach disorders. It also helps healing of the ulcers and wounds in stomach.
- Uterine: Clary Sage oil helps maintain good health of uterus. It prevents some of the most common uterine problems ladies have after menopause, such as uterine tumor, bleeding, pain etc. It regulates the hormones like estrogen and ensures good health of uterus.
- Other Benefits: Can be used against addiction (particularly drug addicts) and for inducing a desire for a positive way of life and to treat back aches, joint pain, regulate excess sebum production etc. It also eases labor and reduces labor pain. It is particularly good for treating symptoms associated with Post Menopause Syndrome.